What Your Business Needs to Know After Brexit

Following the implementation of the new Trade and Co-operation Agreement which will govern the future trading relationship between the UK and the EU from 1 January 2021, there will be a number of actions you need to take to ensure a continued flow of people, data, goods and services.

Below is a summary of key information you need to know.

If Your Business Imports or Exports Goods Between the UK and the EU

To continue to trade with the EU, you will need to follow new rules for exporting, including changes to processes and licensing.

Detailed information can be found here.

Get an EORI number if you don’t already have one.

Speak to the Chamber Export Team who will be able to help.

If Your Business Has Staff Working Between the UK and the EU

If you travel to the EU for work purposes, you may require a visa or work permit. Click here to learn more.

In addition, there are new rules around travel to the EU. Business travellers are advised to check the validity of their passport, travel insurance and driving documentation, as well as potential roaming charges from their mobile provider before travelling.

If Your Business Hires Staff from the EU

Free movement has now ended and the UK is introducing a new points-based immigration system. The way you will hire staff from the EU will change.

If you wish to hire anyone from outside the UK, you must be a Home Office licensed sponsor. Anyone coming to work in the UK will need a job offer from a licensed sponsor in advance, which must meet certain skills and salary criteria. Learn more about these changes here.

If you already employ EU nationals then you must advise your EU employees about the EU Settlement Scheme, which they should apply to here.

Sector Specific Guidance

The Government has updated information for each sector. Click below to learn more about specific changes for your sector.