The Effective Non-Executive Director
12 May 2022 09:00 - 17:00
Black Country Chamber of Commerce
Creative Industries Centre
University of Wolverhampton Science Park
Non members: £900.00
THE COMPANY – principles of corporate structure
• Key features of a limited company - legal status; company constitution; concept of limited liability
• Power and control - the relationship between shareholders; directors and management
• Shareholders' rights - financial return; participate and vote at shareholders' meetings; receive information on the company
• Directors’ legal duties - Seven General Duties (Companies Act 2006); the Reasonable Person Test.
THE BOARD – purpose & functions
• The board’s role - providing effective corporate leadership; difference between direction and management
• The key tasks it should undertake:
- Establishing vision, mission (purpose) and values
- Setting strategic direction
- Delegating to management and overseeing performance
- Exercising accountability to shareholders and other stakeholders
• Capabilities of successful boards - right mix of people; positive challenge and debate.
NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS – how do they add value
• Company - reasons for appointing a NED
• Personal - choosing to become non-executive
• Adding value - key NED contributions; personal attributes needed to be successful; productive questioning
• Potential challenges.
EXECUTIVE SEARCH SPEAKER (possible areas to be covered)
• The recruitment process
• Promoting yourself
• Commonly sought skills and people usually avoided
All participants of the course will automatically be added to our NED Pool, a new service linking individuals looking for NED roles with organisations looking to recruit a NED.
Booking for this event has now closed.